Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Tio Diablo (Regular Version)

Here are my character designs for Carla’s Uncle Eddie or “Tio Diablo” as he is affectionately called by Carla. The character went through a few different design stages before I was finally happy with this version. He’s a bit of a rock star so I wanted to give him sort of a Dave Navarro/ Dweezil Zappa look (but a little more subdued). I am spending a lot of time developing the characters and I think that it’s going to pay off in the long run. The same goes for clothing, each character is going to basically have a style guide and have different clothes and outfits but they will keep within a certain range.

Tio Diablo is physically built like Carla’s dad, but will have a different silhouette with his hair, clothing, posture etc.. I plan to have family resemblances through out all the characters without falling into the trap of making them all look alike. I plan to give Diablo some tattoos, but have yet to come up with anything concrete. I like the idea of all three uncles and Carla’s aunt having some tattoo that they all got when their brother (Carla’s dad) died as a tribute.

All in all when it comes to character design, I must stress patience. Don’t force a character to happen or settle on a design that is “good enough”. I drew several face shapes for diablo before I found the right one, some were round, some were long. Experiment with it until the character fits, you will be glad in the long run.


No comments:

Post a Comment